Nothing’s more refreshing than having a sloping lawn since it adds to the aesthetics of your compound. When mowed correctly, this landscape can spice up your times outdoors. However, mowing a steep lawn is not always easy. It may end up in lots of accidents, and you can even damage the lawn by scalping it.
There are several types of mowers to choose from, but we recommend walk-behind mowers since they are easier to control. However, there are no walk-behind mowers specifically designed for hills. But some of them have certain features that make them suitable. Keep reading to find out the best walk-behind mower for hills as well as some factors to consider when purchasing one.
Best Walk-Behind Mower for hills
Those with smaller yards will appreciate the simplicity and power offered by this mower. It’s an electric walk-behind mower for hills manufactured by the American Lawn Mower Company. It doesn’t emit any harmful fumes either, making it an environmentally friendly option. An 8 amp motor powers the 14-inch deck to deliver clean cuts. The 6-inch rear wheels and 5.5-inch front wheels provide enough clearance to prevent scalping and make this mower easier to manoeuvre.
It comes with a short cord, but if you’d like to use it for medium-sized lawns, you can always purchase an extension cord. Better yet, the manufacturer also offers an 18-inch option and 20-inch option if you feel like the 14-inch cutting width is too small. One distinctive feature of this mower is the “lubrication for life” which saves time, money, and makes this tool more comfortable to maintain.
Most users agree that this mower strikes a balance between an efficient reel mower and an energy-conserving electric mower. They loved the quiet operation and the small compact size too.
- It comes in a small compact size that makes it easier to carry around and store.
- It’s easy to start and has a quiet operation.
- It has a powerful motor.
- You also have the option to choose between the 14-inch, 18-inch, and 22-inch deck.
- The cord gets in the way often and may cause accidents.
- It’s cheaply made, and some of the plastic parts are easily damaged.
Since its electric and the cord may be short, we recommend this mower to people with smaller lawns. It’s also quieter and easier to maintain.
This mower has often been referred to as the “Rolls Royce” of walk-behind mowers. It enables you to cut tough grasses, and mow small to medium-sized yards without relying on electricity or gas. The most distinctive feature is the InertiaDrive that makes the mower more comfortable to push even on steep hills. The blades are also effective and maintain sharpness for a long time.
This mower has no bagger, but you can direct the clippings to be discharged away from your feet. This is to prevent debris from being thrown towards you. You can also install a shield for safety. The cutting heights are adjustable between 1 inch and 4 inches, and the mower has an 18-inch cutting width which is large enough for small to medium-sized lawns.
I came across several reviews that agreed that this mower was quiet, more comfortable to push on hills, and was effective in cutting a wide variety of grasses. The only issue that stood out was the steep learning curve for new users.
- The InertiaDrive enables this mower to handle steep hills easily.]
- It features sturdy blades that are efficient on even the toughest grasses.
- It’s quiet and environmentally friendly.
- It’s also easier to maintain since it doesn’t use gas or electricity.
- The i8-inch cutting width is also enough for small to medium-sized lawns.
- It doesn’t fair well on overgrown grass.
- It’s heavy.
If you’re used to gas-powered and electric mowers, you may have some trouble learning how to use this manual walk-behind mower. But once you get the hang of it, it’s one of the most powerful reel mowers and the perfect replacement for the gas models.
This is more than just a walk-behind mower. It’s self-propelled making it easier to control the heavy machine. It’s a gas-powered mower too, so you can expect excellent performance and regular maintenance. It features a 33-inch cutting deck and a 420cc engine. It’s also a zero-turn mower which makes it easier to turn in tight spaces.
This Troy-Bilt Model is also a rear-wheel drive. Rear-wheel mowers are often more powerful and achieve better tractions on slopes. The twin-blade deck also enables you to deliver clean cuts. It’s a 2-in-1 mower that allows you to either bag or discharge the clippings. However, the bagger is sold separately. The four speeds and eight adjustable heights also make this mower stand out from the rest. It also comes with a 3-year warranty, giving you more reason to trust Troy-Bilt products.
According to most users, this mower lives up to its expectations thanks to the powerful engine, easy to start mechanism, and rear-wheel drive. However, some users found it too cumbersome.
- It’s very powerful thanks to the 420cc engine and rear-wheel drive mode.
- It’s a self-propelled mower, making it easier to push on steep hills.
- The zero-turn capability makes it easier to manoeuvre.
- It’s noisy and emits fumes.
- The bag comes at an extra cost.
We recommend this mower for those with medium-sized to larger yards. The self-propelled mechanism makes it easier to push while the 420cc powers the 33-inch deck to deliver effective cuts on all types of grass.
This is one of the best walk-behind mower for hills. It is a corded mower with a 20-inch cutting deck. Since it’s electric, it’s easier to maintain, and the 12 amp motor provides enough cutting power to cutting deck. What I love most about it are the seven height adjustments that run from 1.5 inches to 4 inches.
They enable you to cut grass of different heights. The cord may be an issue, but you can always purchase an extension cord or go for the cordless mower. Greenworks are very generous with their warranty since they offer a 4-year warranty and excellent customer support. The deck is also made of steel for durability while the handles are foldable for convenient storage.
Most users loved its lightweight design, ease of use, and efficiency. They realized it might clog easily when mowing wet grass, but it was also easier to clean.
- It comes with a 4-year warranty.
- It’s environmentally friendly.
- It comes in a compact size and foldable handles for easier storage.
- The 12amp motor provides enough cutting power while the wheels make it easier to manoeuvre.
- It also has a medium-sized 20-inch cutting deck.
- It comes with a short cord, and an extension cord can be quite expensive.
- The bagger is also quite small.
In my opinion, this brand is one of the best manufacturers of electric yard maintenance tools. The 4-year warranty is also one of the best in the market. With this 20-inch model, you can easily mow, change heights, and it requires less maintenance.
Husqvarna is known for manufacturing heavy-duty riding lawn mowers, but they are also the best for smaller walk-behind mowers. This specific model comes with a 160cc engine which powers the 21-inch cutting deck to deliver clean cuts. It features nine cutting heights, 4-point adjustments, and foldable handles for easier storage.
It features 8-inch front wheels and 12-inch rear-wheels for manoeuvrability and enough clearance. This mower comes with a 2-year warranty. It’s also a 3-in-1 mower that allows you to bag, discharge, or mulch the grass clippings.
Even though it’s a gas-powered push mower, most users agreed that it’s sturdy and easier to manoeuvre. Most loved how easy it is to start considering the starting problems most gas-powered tools have.
- It comes with a powerful Honda engine for efficiency.
- The 12-inch rear wheels make it easier to manoeuvre.
- It’s also a 3-in-1 tool (mulch, bag, discharge).
- The 21-inch cutting width is also adequate.
- It’s a bit noisy and may emit fumes.
- There were some complaints about some flimsy and poorly made parts.
We recommend this mower to those looking for a powerful walk-behind mower for hills that’s not a self-propelled mower. It functions like other heavy-duty mowers and the wheels are built for all types of terrain, and they offer excellent maneuverability.
FAQ About a Walk-Behind Mower for Hills
1. Are Walk-Behind Mowers Good for Hills?
Unless you have a vast lawn where you may need a ride-on mower, a walk-behind mower is a preferable option. They give you more control over the speed and navigation, and they are often cheaper and more energy-efficient.
2. How to mow a steep hill with a walk-behind mower?
Besides giving you more control, walk-behind mowers are also safer on steep hills. It’s always advisable to mow from side to side for efficiency and as a safety precaution. But unlike riding mowers, these mowers can’t tip over.
Factors to consider when purchasing a walk-behind mower for hills
As mentioned earlier, there are no specialized walk-behind mowers for hills. But there are those models with specific features that enable them to handle steep hills efficiently. We have reviewed some of the best. Below are the factors we used to compile the list.
- Deck size – The larger the deck, the better. This will ensure that you clear a larger part of the lawn with every pass. This saves time and conserves energy. However, you shouldn’t go for one that’s too large since it may be hard to manoeuvre. 18-inch to 22-inch is the ideal deck size for efficiency and manoeuvrability.
- Weight of the mower – Since you will be pushing the mower manually, you need to choose a weight that you’re comfortable with. It shouldn’t be too light that it can’t cut some grasses, and it shouldn’t be too heavy that it causes strains after using it for a few hours.
- Attachments – Most of the walk-behind mowers are 3-in-1 where they can bag, discharge or mulch. If you need these extra features, you can buy a mower that has them. But if they’re not necessary, you can omit them and minimize the purchasing costs.
- Source of Power – Walk-behind mowers are either electric, manual (reel mowers) or gas-powered. The mower you choose depends on the size of the lawn, the amount of maintenance that you’re prepared to do and the price. Gas-powered mowers are the most expensive, most powerful and require regular maintenance.
Electric mowers are slightly cheaper and easier to maintain. Manual mowers are the best for small lawns. They are also the best for those on a budget since they are the most affordable and require less maintenance.
- Wheel drive mode – Unless you’re purchasing a self-propelled mower, the drive mode shouldn’t be much of an issue. For self-propelled mowers, a rear-wheel-drive has more traction on steep hills.
- Ease of use – This depends on your technical know-how. If you’re used to operating heavy machines, then you can get any type of mower. But if you’re not expert in technical stuff, make sure the mower is easier to operate. This includes changing the gears if it’s a manual transmission, changing the deck heights, fixing the attachments, and routine maintenance.
Based on the criteria mentioned above, the Greenworks 20-inch Corded Mower meets of the requirements for a walk-behind mower for hills. It’s electric and easier to maintain, but it’s also powerful thanks to the 12 amp motor. It’s also a 3-in-1 tool (bagger, mulcher and discharging). We love how it balances the weight and size of the wheels for efficiency and manoeuvrability.
It’s compact size, and foldable handles also make it easier to store in your garage. This mower also comes with a 20-inch deck which allows you to cut grass on a medium-sized lawn with a few passes. And that’s not all. The manufacturer provides a 4-year warranty and excellent customer support.