Are Foxgloves Poisonous To Dogs? + [What To Do When They Consume Them]

Are Foxgloves Poisonous To Dogs

Dogs love spending time running, playing, and digging in gardens. It’s in their curious nature to sniff and explore things. However, they may ingest foxgloves during their explorations, which raises the question, “are foxgloves poisonous to dogs?” 

Foxgloves are poisonous to dogs. The entire plant contains toxins that are pretty lethal when ingested. Worst, pets may become weak, vomit, have diarrhea, get seizures, and have cardiac arrhythmias.  In an unfortunate scenario, death may occur. Fast and prompt seeking of treatment saves your dog

Read on to find out more symptoms your dog may have and the diagnosis and treatment of foxgloves poisoning. Also, the crucial information you need to share with your vet to help save your pet’s life. 


Also Check: Are Foxgloves Poisonous To Cats?

Are Foxgloves Poisonous To Dogs?

The flowers of Foxgloves are lovely trumpet-like blossoms that come in various colors. The plants grow to up to 5 feet and have a short life span. However, they multiply quickly on their own and continuously grow back each season. 

Foxgloves require minimal maintenance and are stunning, making their flowers a popular choice for bouquets. 

Nonetheless, despite their attractiveness, foxglove plants threaten your dog’s health. 

Foxgloves are toxic and poisonous to dogs if your hound ingests the plant. The entire foxglove is deadly and contains naturally occurring harmful matter that affects the dog’s heart.

You must, therefore, take care of your dog(s) if you have these flowers in your homes or gardens. 

What Happens If My Dog Eats Foxgloves

If your dog eats foxgloves, it may exhibit the following symptoms depending on how much of the plant it ingested: 

  • It may become weak
  • The dog may collapse
  • Your pooch may drool
  • The dog may have abdominal pain 
  • The dog may experience nausea and severe vomiting
  • Your hound may have frequent urination episodes out of the norm
  • Some dogs develop the runs
  • Its pupils may become dilated
  • The dog may get tremors and seizures
  • In some instances, dogs experience cardiac arrhythmias, and their pulse may slow down
  • In the worst scenario, your pet may die

If you suspect your dog has ingested the foxglove and has any of the above symptoms, take it to the clinic. Most importantly, try to remember the time your hound started acting abnormally. 

Diagnosis Of Foxglove Poisoning In Dogs

The vet will run a complete physical examination on your dog at the clinic. The test shows the dog doctor which vitals are not correct and by how much.

Additionally, the doctor conducts blood work to show how your dog’s internal organs are doing. The first tests include a packed cell volume, a chemistry panel, and a complete blood count, which gives a broad baseline. Moreover, a urinalysis to check your pet’s kidney function is performed. 

If your hound is experiencing cardiac problems, it’s put on monitoring equipment. Also, further tests, including an ultrasound or an ECG, are performed on him. 

There may be a need for further evaluation; depending on the above results. Consequently, the doctor may want to do more tests. 

Treatment Of Foxglove Poisoning In Dogs

Most importantly, you should note that there’s no antidote for foxglove poisoning. Instead, supportive therapy in the course of treatment in these cases. Usually, activated charcoal is administered to absorb the toxins ingested. It helps stop the toxic matter from being absorbed into the dog’s bloodstream. 

The symptoms your pooch is exhibiting determine the appropriate treatment to be administered. Your doggie may be started on intravenous (IV) fluids to correct any dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. 

It happens mainly if your dog had runs and severe vomiting.  

Your dog’s vet may administer additional medications such as antiemetics to stop your pet from vomiting. Also, the vet may administer anti-seizure drugs if the dog is seizing. 

The blood work results show what is taking place in your pet’s internal organs and how it’s metabolizing the poison. Therefore, this information enables the doggie’s doctor to administer the appropriate and required medication.

Recovery Of Foxglove Poisoning In Dogs 

The amount of foxglove ingested plays a significant role in your dog’s recovery. Also, the sooner you act once you suspect your pet has eaten the plant and take it to the vet, the better. If you wait for long, the poison may do more harm, reducing its chances of a full recovery. 

The toxicity of the foxglove ranges from moderate to severe. As a result, prompt treatment is essential in your dog’s recovery. 

Your dog is retained in the hospital until its blood works go back to normal and it no longer exhibits poisoning symptoms. After that, the vet can comfortably release your pet to go back home. 


What To Tell Your Vet If Your Dog Has Eaten A Foxglove

The information you need to tell your vet if your dog has eaten a foxglove includes how much of the plant it has eaten and when it happened. 

Additionally, the symptoms you have observed in your pet help the vet figure out the correct actions to take.  


Foxgloves have an attractive appearance, making them a common houseplant for most people. They can be found in and out of many homesteads. However, they contain naturally occurring toxic matter, making them highly lethal for dogs.

Some of the common symptoms your dog may exhibit after ingesting the plant include tremors, nausea, and severe vomiting. 

If you have any suspicions that your dog has eaten this poisonous plant, treat it as an emergency and contact your vet immediately. The sooner you get the needed help, the better the chance of making your pet recover soon and fast.