Having a hilly terrain around your home gives it a nice refreshing look. But there’s always a catch since mowing the slope is a daunting task. Mowing is a steep hill is often risky since you could encounter obstacles that may damage the mower and injure you in the process. The good news is that with the best push mowers for hills, you can efficiently mow a steep slope.
Just because the manufacturer indicates that their mower can handle a hill doesn’t mean you should believe them. You should do your due diligence and check aspects like the cutting deck, type of the mower, engine power, etc. After testing several models, we compiled some of the best push mowers for hills. We have also explained in detail the main features you should consider.
Greenworks 20-inch Corded Lawn Mower
This is one of the best push lawn mowers for hills thanks to the 12 amp motor and the 40V power intake. It is a corded mower, so you don’t have to worry about maintenance, fumes, or starting problems. It features a 20-inch cutting deck that’s big enough for a walk-behind mower for hills, but not too large that you can’t control it. It’s branded as a 3-in-1 tool since it cuts grass, discharges it, or deposits it in a bag for offloading.
It also offers seven cutting heights and foldable handles for easier storage. Better yet, the manufacturer provides a 4-year warranty. It also comes with two batteries that last at least one hour each. Also, batteries can be interchanged with other Greenworks devices to extend the runtime if you have a larger yard.
Users, especially seniors, found it very easy to use. It weighs 56 pounds, so they found it easy to push, and when the bag is full, they can easily dump the clippings. Most homeowners also loved the battery life, robust operation, and height adjustments.
- It’s easy to use and assemble.
- The 4-year warranty is one of the best for such devices.
- It’s a multipurpose tool.
- It’s lightweight, making it suitable even for physically limited people.
- The adjustable depths make it suitable for different types of grass.
- It’s electric, making it environmentally friendly.
- The cord makes it challenging to maneuver with this tool.
- It’s also easily clogged, especially when you mow wet grass.
- The bagger fills pretty quickly.
For people with smaller lawns with steep hills, this mower would be great for them. It’s powerful enough, efficient, and easier to maintain. To solve the cord issue, you can purchase a longer power cord.
You will love this Jonsered model if you’re on a budget and feel comfortable using a self-propelled mower. It features a 21-inch cutting deck, a powerful 163cc Briggs and Stratton Engine, and nine adjustable deck heights.
We love how easy it is to start, change the heights, and deliver clean cuts. It also features larger back wheels that make it easy to maneuver and push on all types of terrain. Other convenient features include the adjustable handles, the easy to use speed changer, and the grass bag at the rear. It’s also a front-wheel drive, making it easier to use in smaller areas with obstacles.
According to most reviews, this lawn mower works great for hilly terrains. They found it sturdy, easy to start, adjust the heights, and maneuver sloping lawns. The only issue was that the handles aren’t padded.
- It’s powerful, thanks to the Briggs and Stratton Engine.
- The nine cutting heights make it suitable for various grass sizes.
- It’s easy to start.
- The larger back wheels make it easier to maneuver.
- The handles aren’t padded. This may cause strain and fatigue.
This model is a winner when it comes to affordability and efficiency. It shows that you don’t have to spend much to get an excellent self-propelled lawnmower. You can always fix a sponge on the handles to prevent any fatigue or strain to your hands.
Lawn-Boy 17732 Self-Propelled Mower
This is the best self-propelled lawn mower for hills thanks to the rear-wheel drive. This drive system provides better traction on a rugged terrain when compared to the front-wheel drive. It also features six cutting heights and a 21-inch cutting deck.
Another reason why we love this mower is the powerful Kohler 149cc OHV engine. It is also CARB-compliant, which means it doesn’t expose the user to any toxic fumes. It also comes with a bag for grass clippings.
The three years warranty also gives you more reasons to trust this push mower. It also features a tri-cut cutting system for efficiency and two points for adjusting deck heights.
Most positive customer reviews were about how powerful it is. Users also confirmed that it was easy to assemble and maneuver hilly terrains. However, there seemed to be some design flaws. For instance, some complained that the front wheels were off. Others also claimed that the heights lever was not stable heights. It could change the heights when on uneven ground.
- It’s easy to assemble and use.
- The rear-wheel-drive also makes it more powerful than the four-wheel-drive mowers.
- It features a 4-stroke engine that’s easy to start and doesn’t require any oil changes.
- It has some design flaws on the wheels and height adjustments. These flaws make it less effective.
- It’s also cheaply made and may get damaged easily.
The good news is, the flows don’t really prevent the functionality of this mower, and they can be fixed with simple tools. Overall, it’s an excellent cheap mower for smaller lawns with steep hills.
American Lawn Mower Company Push Reel Mower
Rated as the best walk behind mower for hills, this mower is designed to deliver clean cuts without relying on gas or electric power. It features a 14-inch cutting width and 8.5-inch wheels that provide enough clearance as you work on the lawn.
It also comes with four heat-treated blades that maintain sharpness for a long time, and they aren’t easily damaged. To efficiently cut different sizes of grass, the heights can be adjusted between 0.5 inches and 1.75 inches. It also weighs 20 pounds, which is light enough to be used even by seniors.
Most users found this a better alternative to gas-powered mowers since its eco-friendly, easy to maintain, and safer to use. However, some thought that it should have a larger cutting width.
- It’s environmentally friendly since it doesn’t emit any toxic fumes.
- It’s easy to use, and it doesn’t require an assembly.
- The adjustable heights make it suitable or different sizes of grass.
- It’s very durable, thanks to the heat-treated steel construction.
- The 8.5-inch polymer wheels provide enough clearance, and they easily move on all types of terrains.
- It may not be strong enough for some types of thick grass.
- The cutting width is also limited.
If you have a small hilly yard, this walk-behind lawnmower suits you. It’s efficient and requires minimal maintenance when compared to gas-powered mowers.
Snapper XD Self-Propelled LAwn Mower
Deliver clean, powerful cuts without emitting fumes with this electric self-propelled mower for hills. It comes with an 82 V Briggs and Stratton battery, which is powerful and lasts for 45 minutes. This mower also features a 21-inch cutting deck, and it’s a 3-in-1 tool (designed to bag, discharge, or bag grass clippings).
One of the most distinct features it has is the smart sensing technology. This feature allows it to automatically adjust the delivery power based on the type of grass, or nature of the lawn. This enhances efficiency while conserving battery power. It comes with an easy to use power start button. Lastly, you can adjust the heights to seven levels.
Most users were impressed by the battery life of this mower, as well as the power it delivers. They only issue most users had was how heavy it is. Some also complained about poor customer service.
- The batteries last longer, and they charge pretty quickly. You can work for a long time, especially if you two of them.
- It has a silent operation and doesn’t emit any fumes.
- It’s easy to assemble and maintain.
- The smart-sensing technology conserves energy.
- It is quite heavy.
- There were some complaints about poor customer service.
Based on our experience, the battery lasts for 30 to 45 minutes, and one battery takes 30 minutes with the Smart charger. With two of them, you can interchange them and work on a larger lawn. We also recommend this mower because of the Smart-sensing technology, which makes it energy efficient.
This is another powerful self-propelled mower for hills thanks to the 190cc Honda Engine. This is a lot of power for a push mower, that’s why we believe it’s perfect for steep banks and hilly yards. It also features a sturdy 21-inch cutting deck and adjustable cutting heights. The ACS (Automatic Choke System) also ensures you don’t have a flooded engine.
Like most heavy-duty lawnmowers, it’s a 3-in-1 tool that allows you to either mulch, discharge, or bag the clippings. It comes with 11-inch rear wheels and 8-inch front wheels for excellent maneuverability and clearance. You can also switch between the front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive. The 3-year warranty also gives more reason to trust the durability of this mower.
Three things stood out from the customer reviews. First, they found the front-wheel and rear-wheel drives to be very convenient. Secondly, the engine was very powerful. And lastly, they found this mower to be very easy to work with.
- It is powerful enough for steep hills
- It’s easy to work with.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty.
- Weighing 96 pounds, this mower is quite heavy.
- It’s hard to clean.
Overall this one of the most powerful push mowers for hills, thanks to the powerful engine and different drive modes. If you know how to fix mowers, then this model will serve you for a long time.
FAQ About Push Lawn Mowers for Hills
Are Walk-behind lawnmowers suitable for hills?
Walk-behind mowers are perfect for steep hills since they give you more control and are easier to navigate. They are also cheaper, especially when you need a mower for a small yard.
How do you mow a steep hill?
When using a push mower, it is advisable to mow from side to side. Mowing up and down a slope is best for riding lawnmowers. Avoid turning when on the hill and always take it slow to avoid any injuries. Below are some extra tips on the best way to mow a steep hill with a push mower:
Are self-propelled mowers suitable for hills?
We believe they are because they propel themselves forward, make it easier to control their weight, and use them on a steep slope.
Factors to consider when picking the best push mowers for hills
After reviewing some of the best models, you may still not be sure what you’re looking for in a mower. Below are some of the factors that you need to consider when purchasing a push mower for hills;
- Wheel drive mode – You can choose between the rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive. The front-wheel mower is the best for lawns with several obstacles such as flower-beds since they are easier to maneuver.
Rear-wheel drive mowers have better traction and are more efficient on steep hills. But if you have hilly terrain, with several obstacles, the all-wheel-drive mower is the best option.
- Size of the cutting deck – Even though larger cutting decks may be the best for relatively flat lawns, they may not be the best for steep slopes.
A smaller cutting deck gives you more control on a steep hill.
- Ease of use – This depends on your technical know-how. If you’re used to operating and fixing mowers, you can select a complex model. If you can’t handle some of the technical aspects, it’s better to choose a mower that’s easy to use. It should also be easy to start, especially if it’s electric or gas-powered.
- Type of the mower – There are walk-behind mowers, riding mowers, and z-turn mowers. Walk-behind mowers give you more control on steep hills, and they don’t easily topple like the ride-on mowers. The problem is that you can’t mow a large lawn.
For the walk-behind mowers, you can choose between the push mower and the self-propelled. Self-propelled mowers are designed to propel themselves forward as they mow. They are more expensive, but they make the job easier when compared to the push mowers.
- Weight – A lighter mower would be better when mowing a steep hill. This makes it easy to turn. But this all depends on how much weight you can handle. Also, a self-propelled mower makes sure you don’t have to deal with the height.
If we were to recommend one of the best push mowers for hills, we would go with the Greenworks 20-inch Corded Lawn Mower. The 20-inch cutting deck is convenient since it mows a larger space while giving you more control over the mower. Being an electric appliance, it’s environmentally friendly and easier to maintain. We also love the powerful motor and 56 pounds of weight.
The handles are also affordable to ensure it doesn’t take too much storage space. It also supports a mulcher or a bagger based on what you want to do with the grass clippings. We also recommend it to those looking for an affordable and easy to use push mower. If you’re looking for a heavy-duty option, Modern Gardening Tips has reviewed the best.
NOTE: Amazon products go out-of-stock often. But I will do my best to update the list with products that are available.